2011年3月30日 星期三

Online Video

Video is a very good learning material for audio-visual learners. It cannot just transfer a traditional lecture to the digital version, but also be supported by different sound and visual effects. Take the following video for example. The instructor is a giraffe. Its motion and intonation are so much fun that most teachers may not be able to do like this.


So, how can we use the video in class? Like Dr. Bonk said, the video can be used as an opening of discussion. However, it should not dominate the class. As an audio-visual learner, I prefer watching a video with a lot of cool effects. The worst clip that I don’t want to watch is the black and white video. I remember I took a course where the instructor played a black and white movie for more than one hour. My soul was out of my body after 5 minutes the movie starting.

I think there is something that we should notice if we use the video in class.
1.          The video should not last too long. Dr. Bonk said people prefer a video less than 5 minutes.
2.          The content should motivate learners to engage in class.
3.          The content should relate to the course content.
4.          Learners should be able to easily access the video anytime and anywhere. If a video requires users to get special or additional equipment, it’s not appropriate to be played in class.
5.          The instructor should always check the video carefully before playing it in class.



Reference
Bonk, C. J. (2008, March). YouTube anchors and enders: The use of shared online video content as a macrocontext for learning. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) 2008 Annual Meeting, New York, NY. http://www.publicationshare.com/SFX7EED.pdf


3 則留言:

  1. I love this video. I saw it a long time ago. I think to incorporate this type of medium into the classroom, it can act as a great ice breaker that relates the content to the real world. For me as a student, the hardest part was seeing how school curriculum related to real world. I felt the material was too disconnected.

    回覆刪除
  2. Nice video Peng, it cracked me!

    I think that while we might know all the right ways to incorporate multimedia in our classes/instruction, still we need to overcome the non-educational obstetrical that face teachers when they try to use such tools, cost, content, and administrative issues are still persisting.

    Abdullah

    回覆刪除
  3. Ha! Did you mean to be funny when you said that no teacher can be as entertaining as this giraffe? Mind you, it's also funny because of all the swearing -- that last beep at the end almost killed me.

    回覆刪除